[MPlayer-dev-eng] The eternal question : rpms

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Dec 13 00:16:13 CET 2001

Hi,

> Until binary packaging is possible, I was thinking of putting only the
> source rpm on my website, I suppose that would be okay, right? Also, I
> suppose the main developers don't run rpm-based Linux distros, otherwise a
> spec file would probably have already been included in the MPlayer
> tarball... which would IMHO be a good thing to do in the meantime, since it
> would probably allow average users to install the program more easily with
> a simple "rpm -tb MPlayer-current.tar.bz2".

good work, thanks.
do you plan to maintain this file?
i don't see placing it to cvs unless someone keeps it up-to-date.

btw, something to fix:
you write in description that it plays vivo, divx and 3ivx.
but it doesn't depend/install win32 codecs, ffmpeg's libavcodec nor xanim
codecs. without them it can play only a very limited range of codecs.

also note, that it shouldn't depend son libdvdcss and libdvdread, they're
optional  (and be sure it's libdvdcss 0.0.3 not 1.0.0 and libdvdread 0.9.x
not 0.8.x)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu