[MPlayer-dev-eng] The eternal question : rpms

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Wed Dec 12 21:17:33 CET 2001

Hi there,

As MPlayer still cannot be distributed in binary form (from what I
understood) and since it does way too many optimizations at compile time
that cannot be changed after, binary packaging "for the masses" is nearly
impossible at the moment.

But, maniac as I am, I wanted to try out MPlayer myself... and since I run
only Red Hat Linux and have *everything* installed in rpm form, I built a
clean ready-to-rock package of MPlayer, and I must admit that it's quite a
good program ;-)

Until binary packaging is possible, I was thinking of putting only the
source rpm on my website, I suppose that would be okay, right? Also, I
suppose the main developers don't run rpm-based Linux distros, otherwise a
spec file would probably have already been included in the MPlayer
tarball... which would IMHO be a good thing to do in the meantime, since it
would probably allow average users to install the program more easily with
a simple "rpm -tb MPlayer-current.tar.bz2".

Anyway, I have attached my spec file (it's quite small) to this email. It's
perfectly suited for Red Hat Linux 7.2 and won't work with earlier versions
since I have MPlayer compile with gcc3... but once you get the rpm
compiled, you install it, choose "MPlayer" for the system menu (under
GNOME, WindowMaker or KDE) and off you go!

Keep up the good work :-)

Cheers,
Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma) running Linux kernel 2.4.16-i8k
Load : 0.09 0.34 0.58, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:45)