[MPlayer-users] convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Nico nsabbi at tiscali.it
Wed Feb 11 08:40:06 CET 2004

Michael Reinelt wrote:

> Hi Nico,

>> DVB  transmits in MPEG-TS format, and IMHO that is the only thing
>> that should be saved (because it's exactly what comes out of the card
>> and of the drivers).
>> Mpeg-PES isn't editable by any software and there are no tools (that
>> I know of) to convert it to -PS, instead -TS files can at least be
>> converted.
>

> I know far too little about all this stuff, so I assume you are right.
> Anyway - VDR can reindex and play the MPEG2-Files from MEncoder, so
> I'm happy...
>
>>> I couldn't find anything about this mbd=2 option, could you please
>>> give me a documentation pointer?
>>

>> it's in the man page (man mencoder), at least with mplayer 1.0-pre3.
>

> My fault. i'm using the CVS version, and forgot to specify '-dPA' on
> 'cvs updated' So he didn't update the DOCS correctly.
>
>> :mbd=2:aspect=4/3:vpass=1:vbitrate=2500:vcodec=mpeg2video  and
>> vrc_maxrate)
>
>                 ^^^
>
>>> as for the aspect, what happens if I get a (S)VCD in 16:9 format? (I
>>> don't know if this is even possible..)
>>

>> it's possible ( use :aspect=16/9) , but how it's played depends on
>> the player: some will show it correctly, others will show it in 4:3
>> aspect
>> (because the "standard" states 4:3 if I remember correctly).
>

> I meant if it's possible that a (S)VCD contains 16:9 material.
>
> Thanks again for the mbd hint, this works fine now! I even converted a
> DVD to a VDR-File yesterday, works great!
>
> But there are still open questions:
> - aspect: for the DVD I had to specify 16:9. Is there a way to find
> out the 'source aspect', except from starting MPlayer or MEncoder,
> hitting Ctrl-C and reading some of the debugging output? I'd need this
> value in a script... Same goes for 'source fps' and 'source
> resolution' (to detect NTSC material, which has to be recoded to PAL)

I don't know

> - when mencoding the DVD, I got thousends of errors like:
> "Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!"
> "Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!"
> "Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 1148 is too little!"
>
> What do they mean? Should I be worried?
>

> bye, Michael

Maybe these are buffer underrun warnings (too little data in the decoder
buffer), anyway
since mencoder's mpeg muxer has some problems. I suggest you to install
libdvb (www.metzlerbros.de) and
to remux your encoded mpeg file with dvb-mplex; e.g.

dvb-mplex -t DVD -o dest.mpg orig.mpg

you can also specify -t VCD | XVCD | SVCD | XSVCD |  etc.