[MPlayer-users] will mplayer do a 3:2 pulldown on 24 fps video when ofps=29.97?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 20 23:21:30 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:51:22PM -0500, mplayer at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:

> I have just read through the discussion(s) regarding the reverse
> telecine filter that Richard is working on.  This is cool.  But it
> brings up an issue.  In general, reverse telecineing hard telecined
> material and the ofps adjustment that is done for soft telecined
> materal are good, if for nothing else, bitrate savings.
>
> But what if my output device has a fixed display rate, like a
> television for instance?  I would in that case, when playing back the
> 24fps material, want to display it with a 3:2 pulldown.  Can MPlayer
> do this (yet)?
>
> This need for a 3:2 pulldown on 24fps material almost needs to be
> automatically detected and employed though.  I could have serveral
> files I want to play, some that really are (recorded at) 59.94
> fields/s and some that are 24 frames/s.  I don't want to have to
> manually inspect each file prior to playing it to see if I need to
> enable (i.e. with command line switches) the 3:2 pulldown.
>
> It could be perhaps that if -ofps=29.97[1] and the input is 24
> frames/s, 3:2 pulldown is automatically enabled.
>
> [1] or even better, an mnemonic like "ntsc" (-ofps=ntsc) so that one
>     could play 24 frames/s video at 29.97 without 3:2 pulldown by
>     specfying 29.97 rather than the "ntsc" mnemonic)
>
> Thots?

It will not be automatic, since 99% of users do not want this
ugliness. However, -vop telecine might do what you want. MPlayer does
not officially support increasing the fps, but if you're using a -vo
driver with vsync support (mga_vid) or DVB output, it'll probably work
acceptably well.

Personally, I think telecine is horribly evil and that displaying
every 4th frame for twice as long looks better than showing two frames
a whole 1/24 second apart at the same time...

Eventually, mplayer probably will have a -ofps option like you
describe. This will make it work with all -vo's, but you'll still need
-vop telecine if you want telecine output.

Rich