[MPlayer-DOCS] RFC: mencoder with interlacing/telecine howto (draft 1)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Jan 5 23:34:12 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>>Hoping you don't mind, I quoted this paragraph and attributed it to you.
>

> OK, let's just be sure to change it if/when filmdint improves. You
> should also try it yourself and see if you agree with my assessment.
> It might be much better on live content than animation; the only
> telecined DVDs I have are anime.

Sure. Trouble is, I don't think I'll be able to find any telecine
sources here at my mom's house, so I'll have to wait until I go home
sometime next week. :)

>>>If the interlaced scenes are mostly low-motion, you could try -vf
>>>pp=lb or l5 and see if you think the output is acceptable. This will
>>>blend away the combing without throwing away half the picture, so it
>>>will temporally blur interlaced content, but on the other hand it
>>>won't do serious damage to progressive frames.
>>
>>Now that I think about it, would it be out of the question to use pullup
>>to telecine the progressive content,
>

> You mean softpulldown? :)

Oops. Yeah.

>>deinterlace everything with -pp=lb,
>>and encode at 29.97? I know that will do slightly awful things to the
>>progressive parts,
>

> No, it will look absolutely awful. The _only_ reason pp=lb is
> tolerable is that the two fields in interlaced video come only 1/60
> second apart, so except with _very_ fast motion, the blurring will
> only be minor. If you linear-blend fields that are 1/24 second apart
> in time, you will get _huge_ ghosts with every little bit of motion,
> which will be very noticable to the viewer and waste lots of bits
> (since motion est won't handle them well).
>

>>but when I'm watching a movie I tend to be distracted
>>more by what appear to be uneven framerates (from duplicated frames)
>>than by a bit of picture degradation. Back before you wrote detc I had
>>encoded a few telecined movies with pp=lb, and they didn't look
>>prohibitively bad.
>

> I've seen it done (by myself in testing, and in some bad anime rips)
> and it really is horrible. Please, never recommend this to anyone.
> I've found that even pp=fd creates ugly ghosts on telecined content
> (but the ghosts are "outlines" instead of solid).

Ok, I'll drop the idea.

By now I think I've incorporated all the suggestions you've made. If you
don't mind, please check for correctness. I'm attaching a diff from the
previous version. The current version is also posted (temporarily) at:
http://fatooh.org/files/telecine.txt

Changes:
* Cosmetics, typos...
* A big footnote about YUV 4:2:0 and cropping
* A small footnote on the merits of mbd=2 and trell
* References to the footnotes
* Warning about telecine hiding within progressive
* How to (relatively) quickly scan a DVD title for framerate changes
* More detail regarding encoding interlaced data
    * ilme and mbd=2
    * tfields howto
    * - il howto, + field howto
    * your description of filmdint
* Recommendation against treating mixed progressive/interlaced as
   progressive

Thanks,
Corey