[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer as streaming server?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri gsbarbieri at yahoo.com.br
Sun Nov 24 17:56:10 CET 2002

 --- Horváth_István <suti at nuk.teteny.elte.hu> escreveu:
> > I was wondering if there is a way to make mplayer a streaming
> server. I
> > ask this 'cause one of the problems I have is that I must encode
> (live
> > security camera) and still be able to view the movie and do time
> > shifting, both local and remote (that's why I asked for a streaming
> > server).
>
> i don't know exactly, but ffmpeg does this. ffmpeg.sf.net, and i
> think the
> ffserver is do that streaming server thingie ... (but not sure!)

I know. I'm using ffserver to stream my already recorded data. The
problem is that ffmpeg couldn't crop the TV data (it becomes all
green). And I want to use some mplayer filters, like bmovl, scale and
others.
You know if there is a way to mencoder stream to ffserver (Feed.ffm)
(or possibly record to .mpg and output the raw data to stdin?) ?

One more thing: what is the best format to stream? I tried AVI but it's
not possible to seek. I'm using mpeg1video by now 'cause I can seek in
the stream, but it's compression isn't the best one. Also I need to
encode 4 videos (4 cameras 640x480) at the same time (I have a Athlon
XP 1800+, 256mb RAM).

Gustavo