[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] encoding.html

Jonas Jermann jjermann at gmx.net
Sun Nov 3 22:40:25 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 09:40:18PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > hmm, doesn't this belong at the beginning of the documentation?
> > If not, the two sections (mplayer and mencoder) could be
> > completely seperated too. Example:
> hmm.. you're right as usual.
>
> so, forget these sections... they are already there in the main docs.
> btw why the current encoding.html have these then?

Donno, I didn't write encoding.html. They always confused me. ;)

> > What about all the mplayer/mencvcd/etc options: jpg/etc,
> > -vop lavc/etc, (tvout,) dump*sub, vobsubout, subrip, etc....
> > I suppose the topic related should just go to the "encoding
> > tutorial" or "other uses" to keep it mencoder only?
> hmm. dunno.
> i'm really confused now :)

Sorry, didn't want to confuse you. ;)

For me it's partly a design question. mplayer sometimes acts
like an encoder (dump*, -vo jpg, etc, also sometimes encoding and
video out is almost the same). IMHO more things should be moved
to mencoder in future (e.g. _all_ things, that write down files:
dump*, -vo jpg, etc). Just an idea, what about -osc (copy, srt,
etc) for subtitle output? ;)

subrip (and maybe TVout) belong to the encoding tutorial (IMHO).

> > [...]
> > > - encoding tutorial
> > >   - recommendations for crop/scaling (16-aligned w/h, aspect ratio etc)
> > >   - bitrate calculation, vbr vs. cbr etc
> > >   - multi pass encoding
> > >   - dvd ripping (-streamcopy vs play_title vs dvdbackuip vs -ovc copy -oac copy)
> > Maybe the encoding tutorial should be separated in input
> > sections (e.g. dvd, vcd, vob/ifo files, tv, web, mf, (cdd[ab],)
> > dvb). dvd ripping is surely a big part...
> good idea

> > >   - extracting VOB subtitles
encoding tutorial/input/vob and ifo files

> > >   - encoding from image sequence (-mf)
encoding tutorial/input/mf

> > >   - creating vcd/svcd (mencvcd)
ok, donno about this. It's here because it isn't mentioned
above. It isn't mentioned above because it's not part of
mencoder. So it may stay in "others". Actually encoding to TV
too (TVout etc).

> > >   - TV capturing/recording
encoding tutorial/input/tv

> > These could go into encoding tutorial (IMHO, see above).
> why?
see above

> > > What do you think?
> > Nice overview/structure! :)))
> and bad in all its lines :)
No, it's excellent. But as always the problem is mainly the work
itself and not the structure/design (see libvo2 ;).

> > Those were just some additional ideas to help you. I'm really
> > curious as I didn't find any good linux encoding guide so far...
>
> we have to decide if we write doc for mencoder or for everything :)

IMHO it should only be mencoder and TOOLS/* related (e.g.
subrip, mencvcd).
The other thing is the technical part (I mean things like
description of CSS auth or some things from libavc-options.txt
like data artitioning):

How far should a technical documentation or everything go?
Surely as far as possible ;)

Where should it go?

    - add a link at the specific place of the doc or a link
      list at the end.
      -> easy to add (takes not much time)
    - add it right to the specific place in the docs
      -> see cd-dvd.html, some informations can't be found
         anywhere (see libavc-options.txt content ;),
	 so they either have to stay in the developer's mind,
	 in the tech docs or in the normal docs.
	 For me all usefull informations for a _user_ (advanced
	 too) are welcome in the normal docs (e.g. vop.txt and
	 libavc-options.txt hints).
    - create a new section and move all technical explanation in it.
    - more or combinations...

> > Btw: What happend to Diego's wishlist? I'd like to see it...
> what happened to Diego? i'd like to see him...
ping Diego

Regards
    Jonas