[MPlayer-dev-eng] Linking issues

David Holm dholm at telia.com
Sat Dec 29 01:21:27 CET 2001

Arpi wrote:

>Hi,
>

>binutils version? try to upgrade.

I had the binutils from debian testing branch, I upgraded to the one in
unstable (stable gcc branch doesn't support glibc21). 2.11.92.0.1
The problem went away for a while, until I did a cvs update (= more code
went into mplayer... this days been kinda hectic ;), then the problem
returned.

/usr/bin/ld: mplayer: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 6,
need 7)

I did a casual search of man ld for header but found nothing... and now
I'm to tired to head over to gnu.org and scan the docs. But someone
should take a look at this, or at least state it's a binutils bug. (As
I'm going away tomorrow I won't be much help until after 0.60pre2)
I'll paste the configure output to give you a hint of which parts I'm
linking...
I'm perfectly well aware of that I can disable most of the video output
devices, but if it turns out this error can be evased by an ld switch
you might consider fixing it instead of telling me to disable stuff.
That way there will be one less problem to worry about when mplayer is
ready for binary packaging.

//David Holm

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-tv --enable-streaming
Detected operating system: Linux
Detected host architecture: i386
Checking for gcc version ... 2.95.4, ok
Checking for CPU vendor ... GenuineIntel (6:7:2)
Checking for CPU type ...  Pentium III (Katmai)
Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... i686
Checking for binutils ... yes
Checking for kernel support of mmx ... yes
Checking for kernel support of mmx2 ... yes
Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes
Checking for mtrr support ... yes
Checking for assembler (as 2.11.92.0.12.3) ... ok
Checking for Linux kernel version ... 2.5.1, ok
Checking for extra headers ... none
Checking for extra libs ... none
Checking for kstat ... no
Checking for posix4 ... no
Checking for nanosleep ... yes
Checking for socklib ... yes (using -lnsl)
Checking for malloc.h ... yes
Checking for memalign() ... yes
Checking for alloca.h ... yes
Checking for mman.h ... yes
Checking for dynamic loader ... yes
Checking for pthread ... yes (using -lpthread)
Checking for sys/soundcard.h ... yes
Checking for termcap ... yes
Checking for termios ... yes (using: sys/termios.h)
Checking for shm ... yes
Checking for 3dfx ... no
Checking for tdfxfb ... no
Checking for DirectFB ... yes
Checking for language ... using en
Checking for vsscanf() ... yes
Checking for X11 headers ... yes (found: /usr/include)
Checking for X11 libs ... yes (found: /usr/X11R6/lib)
Checking for X11 ... yes
Checking for DPMS ... yes (using Xdpms 4)
Checking for Xv ... yes
Checking for Xinerama ... yes
Checking for Xxf86vm ... yes
Checking for DGA ... yes (using DGA 2.0)
Checking for OpenGL ... yes
Checking for /dev/mga_vid ... no
Checking for syncfb ... no
Checking for xmga ... no
Checking for GGI ... yes
Checking for AA ... yes
Checking for SVGAlib ... no
Checking for FBDev ... no
Checking for DVB ... no
Checking for PNG support ... yes
Checking for VESA support ... yes
Checking for SDL ... yes (with sdl-config)
Checking for NAS ... no
Checking for DXR3/H+ ... yes
Checking for libmp1e ... yes
Checking for OSS Audio ... yes
Checking for ALSA audio ... no
Checking for Sun audio ... no
Checking for Sun mediaLib ... no
Checking for SGI Audio ... no
Checking for VCD support ... ok
Checking for DVD support ... libdvdread
Checking for zlib ... yes
Checking for RTC ... yes
Checking for mad support ... yes
Checking for OggVorbis support ... yes
Checking for Win32 DLL support ... yes (found: /usr/lib/win32)
Checking for DirectShow ... yes
Checking for XAnim DLL ... yes (found: /usr/lib/xanim/mods)
Checking for iconv ... yes
Checking for FFmpeg codec ... not found
Checking for Divx4linux decore ... yes
Checking for libmp3lame (required for mencoder) ... yes
Checking for Divx4linux encore (required for mencoder) ... yes
Checking for lirc ... no
Checking for fastmemcpy ... yes
Checking for TV interface ... yes
Checking for Video 4 Linux TV interface ... yes
Checking for select ... yes
Checking for streaming ... yes
Checking for GUI ... no
Creating config.mak
Creating config.h
Creating libvo/config.mak
Creating libvo2/config.mak
Creating libao2/config.mak
Creating help_mp.h

Config files successfully generated by ./configure !

  Install prefix: /usr
  Data directory: /usr/share/mplayer
  Config direct.: /usr/share/mplayer

  Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: network tv-v4l tv dvdread vcd
    Codecs: divx4linux xanim directshow win32
    Audio output: oss dxr3 sdl
    Video output: dxr3 sdl vesa png mpegpes(file) aa ggi opengl dga xv
x11 directfb