[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvdnav second installment, help needed

David Holm dholm at iname.com
Sun Dec 23 13:32:37 CET 2001

Hi,
here is the second dvdnav patch. This one should be stable enough for you to
add to the cvs tree, I've tested most possibilities and it works with dvdread
compiled alongside.
I've changed it to use arrowkeys, enter + esc for "return to root menu" when
using dvdnav. As seeking messes up dvdmenus sometimes I thought this would be
acceptable, I will implement a function to tell whether it's in a menu or
not, as when playing the movie seeking of course works well.

As you can see in stream.c dvd menus support something called still pictures.
This is used commonly in menus to provide a still background. A still picture
is basically preceeded by an mpeg ps stream which contains a video packet
with the picture incoded as intra (I assume ;). This is where I need help,
when the demuxer get's a still picture it currently freaks out since it's
preceeded only by audio. The demuxer kills mplayer telling me there are too
many audio packets in the buffer. I understand why this happens but I've been
unable to make a clean implementation to solve this.
So could someone help me out and have a look at the demuxer to allow it to
receive only audio (and only video since this is also allowed by the
standard, although I believe this is already supported?) and keep the current
frame in buffer.

I haven't implemented subpic support yet, so you won't see any highlights
over dvd menu items.

libdvdnav can be fetched by cvs from xine-dvdnav.sourceforge.net, checkout
module xine-dvdnav as it is contained withing that module... configure and
compile, but don't install unless you intend to use the xine module as well.
-dvdnav plays a dvd and -dvd works as usual.

Arpi: Any comments appreciated if something needs to be changed. Unless
someone stumbles uppon a bug I don't see why not adding this to the cvs code
for those who want to experiment with it...

I'm gonna work on the dxr3 kernel modules for a few days, tie up some lose
bits and pieces. I'm hoping someone would help me with the still picture
issue while I'm working on it so I can resume nav development when I'm done
with the modules.

//David Holm