[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer and installation

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Dec 21 12:22:28 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:59:38PM +0000, Alban Bedel wrote:
> > > we have the strict reason for not doing the things
> > > as your 'good remarks' say.
>

> > Hmm, I could not find it,i asked Gabucino but and he
> > couldn't help me. So pleace tell me why to don't copy
> > the new /etc/codecs.conf to /usr/local/share/mplayer
> > at make install?
>
> Some ppl have customs codecs.conf so It's normal to don't erase it. But as someone
> else pointed out we should copy it when it don't exist. Or better ask if you want the new
> one or keep yours.

There's a big problem about this installation. Let's imagine that user do
'make install' as root to be able to install mplayer into /usr/local/bin.
Now, if from an older install codecs.conf already presents in user's
$HOME/.mplayer, that's cannot be checked by installation script, it will only
know that /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf exists or not. So it's almost
impossible to produce a good solution for that problem ;-(

However a newbie user won't know anything about codecs.conf, so it would be
a good solution to copy codecs.conf into /usr/local/share/mplayer ...
But a warning message should be printed out and so on.

- Gabor