[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPEG streams with no audio/video

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Dec 19 00:48:41 CET 2001

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to implement Vobsub¹ files.  They are MPEG files containing
> only the subtitles.  So I thought I could use libmpdemux to read them.
> But it seems it can't work without audio/video.  Is there a way around
> this or do I hace to implement another MPEG parser?

libmpdemux should be fixed.
it base don my old demux_*.c code, which was desigend for 1 video and 0/1
audio streams. now we need 0..N video, 0..N audio and 0..N subtitles.

i have some plans to change it's api, but it is a far plan, i don't want to
do it before the xmas/new-year release. this change will also allow playback
several files parallel, i mean video from mpeg, audio from vivo or mp3 or
whatever you want...

as for now, a quick change in demux_mpg/demuxer should help. see demux_asf,
it supports 0 video streams (plans for .wma support), so we should avoid
demux_mpg from exit if no video stream found.

then you can open 2 demuxers, one for movie and one for vobsub, and read
subtitle from teh second one.  video-sub sync is an issue to solve...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu