[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder does not duplicate frames correctly

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu Dec 13 15:13:33 CET 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:

> Christoph Lampert writes:
>
> > What exactly is broken in transcode two-pass?
>
> OK, I should not have said it was broken.  And it is not the two-pass
> stuff I was criticizing, but the default value for min_quantizer which
> I think is suboptimal.  And I have not even read transcode's sources.
> Anyway, as Arpi mentionned I can still change it through parameters.
> Never mind my rumbling...

I set transcode's min_quantizer value to 2, because
there's simply no visible difference between quant 1 and 2 (at least for
me), and quant 1 need much (and I mean MUCH) more space than 2.

For two-pass encoding it's essential that you spend bits from scenes
which still look good with less bits at scenes where these bits really
do make a difference. I did quite a lot of tests for this: as long
as there it no "really good" algorithm to choose quantizers, but just
heuristics, min_quant 2 gives better results than 1.

Often, even 3 would be better, but e.g. for 2CD-Rips, quantizer 2 is
quite common and I didn't want to recompile each time...

gruel

Christoph Lampert, gruel at gmx.de