[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder does not duplicate frames correctly

Kim Minh Kaplan kmkaplan at selfoffice.com
Tue Dec 11 13:57:24 CET 2001

Arpi writes:

> Hi,
>
> the normal standard way to duplicate (skip) frame in AVi is writting 0 byte
> length chunks. it means for player: don't decode/display new frame, just
> wait for next frame...

Oh, I did not know that.  I'll make a new patch that does it like you
describe.  Currently it does not do this.  It just duplicate the chunk
which is plain wrong.

> Kim Minh wrote:
>
>> Another minor tweak is also included: divx4 min_quantizer is set to 1
>> instead of 2.  Or was there a good reason not to accept 1 as a value?
>
> dunno. it's from transcode...

The documentation from divx4linux-20011010_4.02 says:

    "When encoding is performed with ENC_OPT_ENCODE, quant and intra
    fields of ENC_FRAME structure are ignored. Encore2 provides a
    possibility to more accurately control the encoding process. To
    use this feature, you have to pass ENC_OPT_ENCORE_VBR as an
    argument of encore(). In this case, the quant instructs encore to
    encode the current frame with the specified quantizer. The valid
    ranges of this field is 1 to 31, with 1 giving highest quality and
    31 giving lowest bitstream size.  [...]"

It is not really about min_quantizer, but I get it to also mean that
the same range is valid...  Should'nt we diverge from transcode where
it is broken?

Kim Minh.